Monday, December 26, 2011

The Complete Weihnachts-oratorium of JS Bach, Part VI:VII-XI

7. Recitativo (T)

 [Evangelist]
Und Gott befahl ihnen im Traum,
dass sie sich nicht sollten wieder zu Herodes lenken,
und zogen durch einen andern Weg wieder in ihr Land.

~

And God then warned them in a dream
that they should not go again unto Herod,
and they went by another way back to their country.

~~~~~

8. Recitativo (T)

So geht! Genug, mein Schatz geht nicht von hier,
Er bleibet da bei mir,
Ich will ihn auch nicht von mir lassen.
Sein Arm wird mich aus Lieb
Mit sanftmutsvollem Trieb
Und größter Zärtlichkeit umfassen;
Er soll mein Bräutigam verbleiben,
Ich will ihm Brust und Herz verschreiben.
Ich weiß gewiss, er liebet mich,
Mein Herz liebt ihn auch inniglich
Und wird ihn ewig ehren.
Was könnte mich nun für ein Feind
Bei solchem Glück versehren!
Du, Jesu, bist und bleibst mein Freund;
Und werd ich ängstlich zu dir flehn:
Herr, hilf!, so lass mich Hülfe sehn!

~

Then go! 'Tis well, my treasure leaveth not,
He bideth here with me,
I will not ever let him leave me.
His arm will in his love
With soft affection's warmth
And deepest tenderness embrace me;
He shall remain my faithful bridegroom,
I will my breast and heart assign him.
I know full well he loveth me,
My heart, too, loves him fervently
And shall alway adore him.
What harm to me could any foe
Amidst such fortune do now?
Thou, Jesus, art fore'er my friend;
And when in fear I cry to thee:
"Lord, help!," let me thy help behold!

~~~~~

9. Aria (T)

Nun mögt ihr stolzen Feinde schrecken;
Was könnt ihr mir für Furcht erwecken?
Mein Schatz, mein Hort ist hier bei mir.
Ihr mögt euch noch so grimmig stellen,
Droht nur, mich ganz und gar zu fällen,
Doch seht! mein Heiland wohnet hier.

~

Now may ye boastful foes be frightened;
Ye can in me what fear awaken?
My store, my hoard is here by me.
Be ye unbounded in your fury
And threaten me with utter ruin,
Beware, my Savior dwelleth here!

~~~~~

10. Recitativo (S, A, T, B)

Was will der Höllen Schrecken nun,
Was will uns Welt und Sünde tun,
Da wir in Jesu Händen ruhn?

~

What hope hath hell's own terrors now,
What harm will world and sin us do,
While we in Jesus' hands rest sure?

~~~~~

11. Choral (S, A, T, B)

Nun seid ihr wohl gerochen
An eurer Feinde Schar,
Denn Christus hat zerbrochen,
Was euch zuwider war.
Tod, Teufel, Sünd und Hölle
Sind ganz und gar geschwächt;
Bei Gott hat seine Stelle
Das menschliche Geschlecht.

~

Now are ye well avengéd
Upon your hostile host,
For Christ hath fully broken
All that which you opposed.
Death, devil, hell and error
To nothing are reduced;
With God hath now its shelter
The mortal race of man.

~~~~~


~~~~~

Thank you for listening.


The complete Christmas Oratorio is featured on All for Hymn
beginning at 6:00 PM ET on December 24, 2011
and running every 3 hours.

English Translation © Z. Philip Ambrose, translator, 
Web publication: http://www.uvm.edu/~classics/faculty/bach.
Used by permission.


Special thanks to counterpoint85 over on youtube
for posting the complete work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Differing opinions are welcome! Please keep comments on an academic level. Lively discussions and alternate opinions are productive, arguments and accusations are not.

Please leave a name or pseudonym at the end of your comment so the conversation can continue. Alternately, you can log in using Yahoo, AOL/AIM, Google, Netlog, or Open ID on any comment page.

Comment Moderation is on to ensure that blog author reads each comment. The goal is to read and reply to each comment.

Note: you may have to hit "Preview" first and then "Post."