Monday, December 26, 2011

The Complete Weihnachts-oratorium of JS Bach, Part IV:II-IV


2. Recitativo (T)

[Evangelist]
Und da acht Tage um waren,
dass das Kind beschnitten würde,
da ward sein Name genennet Jesus,
welcher genennet war von dem Engel,
ehe denn er im Mutterleibe empfangen ward.

~

And when eight days were accomplished
that the child be circumcised,
was his name then called Jesus,
which was so named by the angel,
before he was conceived within his mother's womb.

~~~~~


3. Recitativo (B) e Choral (S)


Immanuel, o süßes Wort!
Mein Jesus heißt mein Hort,
Mein Jesus heißt mein Leben.
Mein Jesus hat sich mir ergeben,
Mein Jesus soll mir immerfort
Vor meinen Augen schweben.
Mein Jesus heißet meine Lust,
Mein Jesus labet Herz und Brust.

Jesu, du mein liebstes Leben,

Komm! Ich will dich mit Lust umfassen,

Meiner Seelen Bräutigam,

Mein Herze soll dich nimmer lassen,

Der du dich vor mich gegeben

Ach! So nimm mich zu dir!

An des bittern Kreuzes Stamm!


Auch in dem Sterben sollst du mir
Das Allerliebste sein;
In Not, Gefahr und Ungemach
Seh ich dir sehnlichst nach.
Was jagte mir zuletzt der Tod für Grauen ein?
Mein Jesus! Wenn ich sterbe,
So weiß ich, dass ich nicht verderbe.
Dein Name steht in mir geschrieben,
Der hat des Todes Furcht vertrieben.

~

Immanuel, O sweetest word!
My Jesus is my shield,
My Jesus is my being.
My Jesus is to me devoted,
My Jesus shall I ever hold
Before my eyes suspended.
My Jesus is my joyful rest,
My Jesus soothes my heart and breast.

Jesus, thou, my life belove'd, 

Come! I would now with joy embrace thee,  

Of my soul the bridegroom true,

My heart shall nevermore release thee, 

Thou who didst for me surrender

Ah! Take me to thyself! 

To the bitter cross's tree!

E'en in my dying shalt thou my 
Most cherished treasure be;
In need, in dread and sore distress
I'll look and yearn for thee.
What cruelty at last can death then hound me with?
My Jesus! When I die here,
I know that I shall never perish.
Thy name is written deep within me,
It hath the fear of death now banished.

~~~~~

4. Aria (S)

Flößt, mein Heiland, flößt dein Namen
Auch den allerkleinsten Samen
Jenes strengen Schreckens ein?
Nein, du sagst ja selber nein. (Nein!)
Sollt ich nun das Sterben scheuen?
Nein, dein süßes Wort ist da!
Oder sollt ich mich erfreuen?
Ja, du Heiland sprichst selbst ja. (Ja!)

~

Doth, my Savior, doth thy name have
E'en the very smallest kernel
Of that awful terror now?
No, thyself thou sayest "No." (No!)
Ought I now of death be wary?
No, the gentle word is here!
Rather, ought I greet it gladly?
Yes, O Savior, thou say'st "Yes." (Yes!)

~~~~~


~~~~~


The complete Christmas Oratorio is featured on All for Hymn
beginning at 6:00 PM ET on December 24, 2011
and running every 3 hours.

English Translation © Z. Philip Ambrose, translator, 
Web publication: http://www.uvm.edu/~classics/faculty/bach.
Used by permission.

Special thanks to counterpoint85 over on youtube
for posting the complete work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Differing opinions are welcome! Please keep comments on an academic level. Lively discussions and alternate opinions are productive, arguments and accusations are not.

Please leave a name or pseudonym at the end of your comment so the conversation can continue. Alternately, you can log in using Yahoo, AOL/AIM, Google, Netlog, or Open ID on any comment page.

Comment Moderation is on to ensure that blog author reads each comment. The goal is to read and reply to each comment.

Note: you may have to hit "Preview" first and then "Post."