Saturday, April 3, 2010

Holy Saturday: St. John's Passion, Part 40

We have reached the finale of St. John's Passion. Here Bach uses the third and final stanza of Herzlich lieb hab ich dich, o Herr, or "Lord, Thee I Love With All My Heart." For more information on this particular hymn, check out Southern Lutheran Kantor here.

The Passion according to St. John
set to music by Johann Sebastian Bach
Part 40

~~~~~

Ach Herr, lass dein lieb Engelein
Am letzten End die Seele mein
In Abrahams Schoß tragen,
Den Leib in seim Schlafkämmerlein
Gar sanft ohn eigne Qual und Pein
Ruhn bis am jüngsten Tage!
Alsdenn vom Tod erwecke mich,
Dass meine Augen sehen dich
In aller Freud, o Gottes Sohn,
Mein Heiland und Genadenthron!
Herr Jesu Christ, erhöre mich, erhöre mich,
Ich will dich preisen ewiglich!


Lord, let at last Thine angels come,
To Abr’ham’s bosom bear me home,
That I may die unfearing;
And in its narrow chamber keep
My body safe in peaceful sleep
Until Thy reappearing!
And then from death awaken me,
That these mine eyes with joy may see,
O Son of God, Thy glorious face,
My Savior and my fount of grace!
Lord Jesus Christ, my prayer attend, my prayer attend,
And I will praise Thee without end!



~~~~~

For the complete text in German, click here.
For the complete text in English, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Differing opinions are welcome! Please keep comments on an academic level. Lively discussions and alternate opinions are productive, arguments and accusations are not.

Please leave a name or pseudonym at the end of your comment so the conversation can continue. Alternately, you can log in using Yahoo, AOL/AIM, Google, Netlog, or Open ID on any comment page.

Comment Moderation is on to ensure that blog author reads each comment. The goal is to read and reply to each comment.

Note: you may have to hit "Preview" first and then "Post."