Monday, May 10, 2010

Bob Dylan, Wierd Al and Palindromes: What a combination!

I, MAN, AM REGAL; A GERMAN AM I.

One side topic I wanted to incorporate with this blog was usage and grammar.  I don't see many people writing about this, so I do not have a reference point to go off of (please excuse the dangling participle!).

On a side note, if you know of blogs or other sites that deal with these subjects, feel free to leave a link in the comments.

Back to the topic at hand, facebook friend Bob posted this video from Weird Al Yankovic.  It is a parody of a Bob Dylan song that uses all palindromes.  A palendrome is a word of phrase that is spelled the same forwards and backwards.  Simple palendromes include the word, "noon" and the name, "Bob."  A classic palendrome sentence is, "Able was I, ere I saw Elba."  Another example (provided by Weird Al) is found at the top of this post.

This literary device does not get used much in the church realm, but it does get you thinking about creative writing, so here is Weird Al's "Bob" followed by the original Bob Dylan work, "Subterranian Homesick Blues."

~~~~~

"Bob" by Weird Al Yankovic


~~~~~

"Subterranean Homesick Blues" by Bob Dylan


~~~~~

Note: Can someone explain to me what They Might Be Giant's "I Palindrome I" has to do with Palindromes?

6 comments:

  1. My personal favorite is "Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! All this talk of palindromes has me craving UFO TOFU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All can say is.......

    Evil did I dwell; lewd I did live.
    Ma is a nun, as I am.
    Live not on evil.

    Ok, I must confess - I cheated. Google is a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Gotta love google - and palindromes!

    ReplyDelete

Differing opinions are welcome! Please keep comments on an academic level. Lively discussions and alternate opinions are productive, arguments and accusations are not.

Please leave a name or pseudonym at the end of your comment so the conversation can continue. Alternately, you can log in using Yahoo, AOL/AIM, Google, Netlog, or Open ID on any comment page.

Comment Moderation is on to ensure that blog author reads each comment. The goal is to read and reply to each comment.

Note: you may have to hit "Preview" first and then "Post."