Saturday, December 12, 2009

Introducing Higher Things Radio

Dare to be a Lutheran.  That's the motto of Higher Things, a "recognized service organization" of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod.  The organization promotes Lutheran teaching and practice among today's youth. 

You may have noticed in the sidebar there is a blog called A My HT Fortress.  This is the blog of a pastor who is involved with Higher Things (HT).

Episode 66 features a discussion on Christmas myths.  There are many, and this show tackles a few of them.  I may have to start a new series called "What's Wrong with this Carol?"

Also, you will find a discussion of the appointed hymns of the day for Advent.

All for Hymn features these hymns as best as it can during Advent.
My parish uses the three-year lectionary, so the one difference is that this blog used On Jordan's Bank the Baptist's Cry instead of "Lo! He Comes with Clouds Descending" for Advent II.

It should be noted that three of these hymns have been or will be featured over at Lutheran Time Out this season.  Look for "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" with the companion "O Antiphons" each day from December 17-23.

Catch the current Higher Things Radio episode plus it's archive here.

There is a Higher Things promotional video here. (Note to HT: can I get an embed code for the video?)

Read about the mission and purpose of HT here.

This year's Higher Things conferences are in Logan, Utah, and Memphis, Tennessee.  There is a hunka-hunka burnin' information about it here.

Lastly, for those who think today's youth want Lite FM music in their worship services, here's a clip from the 2009 Higher Things conference in Grand Rapids, MI.  Yes, folks, this is today's junior and senior high schoolers singing Te Deum Laudamus in English to Gustav Holst's Jupiter movement in "The Planets."



Now for a confession: I was under the impression that this text and tune were a little cumbersome for my own congregation, then I found these children singing it! Perhaps I need to revisit this tune with my choir.



Look for more from this wonderful choir during Advent IV. Know of a good children's choir? Drop the link in the comment box and I will consider featuring them. There is a Schola Cantorum in Grand Rapids and another good children's choir in Fort Wayne. I can't find video or audio of them, though!

3 comments:

  1. I have LOVED this seeting of the Te Deum since I first heard it from the Ft. Wayne Kantorei! It simply is majestic.

    And the youth attending last year's HT conferences consistently refer to singing that hymn as one of the highlights of that conference!

    And yes, these little ones at Lamb of God Lutheran Church show that it is NOT beyond people.

    I said several times after singing this Te Deum at HT, "It was like a moment when heaven kissed earth."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a little late to the Higher Things table, and had I known in advance they were in Grand Rapids last year, I would have encouraged the kids at my church to attend.

    Unfortunately, I didn't piece it together until this video surfaced!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you listen carefully to the last millisecond of the video, you can hear someone say "wow!" :)

    ReplyDelete

Differing opinions are welcome! Please keep comments on an academic level. Lively discussions and alternate opinions are productive, arguments and accusations are not.

Please leave a name or pseudonym at the end of your comment so the conversation can continue. Alternately, you can log in using Yahoo, AOL/AIM, Google, Netlog, or Open ID on any comment page.

Comment Moderation is on to ensure that blog author reads each comment. The goal is to read and reply to each comment.

Note: you may have to hit "Preview" first and then "Post."