Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day and the Apostle's Creed, Article I

From Luther's Small Catechism. The Apostle's Creed is the second part of Luther's Small Catechism, so you will notice the roman numeral II begins this section.

II. The Creed

As the head of the family should teach it in a simple way to his household.

The First Article.

Of Creation.


I believe in God the Father Almighty,
Maker of heaven and earth.


Praise to the Lord the Almighty
Lobe den Herren, den mächtigen König
Setting by JS Bach


~~~~~

What does this mean?

I believe that God has made
me and all creatures;
that He has given me my body and soul,
eyes, ears, and all my limbs,
my reason, and all my senses,
and still preserves them;


Praise to the Lord the Almighty
Lobe den Herren, den mächtigen König
Setting by Hugo Distler


~~~~~

in addition thereto,
clothing and shoes,
meat and drink,
house and homestead,
wife and children,
fields, cattle, and all my goods;


Great is Thy Faithfulness
Sung by a mens chorus


~~~~~

that He provides me
richly and daily
with all that I need
to support this body and life,
protects me from all danger,
and guards me and preserves me
from all evil;


Children of the Heavenly Father
Sung in Swedish and English


~~~~~

and all this
out of pure, fatherly,
divine goodness and mercy,
without any merit or worthiness in me;


Children of the Heavenly Father
Setting by Wilbur Held


~~~~~

for all which I owe it to Him
to thank, praise, serve, and obey Him.
This is most certainly true.


Praise to the Lord the Almighty
Lobe den Herren, den mächtigen König
German Gospel Choir

No comments:

Post a Comment

Differing opinions are welcome! Please keep comments on an academic level. Lively discussions and alternate opinions are productive, arguments and accusations are not.

Please leave a name or pseudonym at the end of your comment so the conversation can continue. Alternately, you can log in using Yahoo, AOL/AIM, Google, Netlog, or Open ID on any comment page.

Comment Moderation is on to ensure that blog author reads each comment. The goal is to read and reply to each comment.

Note: you may have to hit "Preview" first and then "Post."